September 15, 2024

Willesborough Windmil Ashford

 

Willesborough Windmill


Date: September 2024 
Location:  Kent 
Public or abandoned - Public.


I have to say, this is a really cute hidden gem and for the price I paid for a tour, it was really good. It cost me £7.50 for myself and my 4-year-old daughter. Our tour guide was extremely inventive and helpful, even though my 4-year-old wouldn't stop talking and asking questions.

The mill dates back to 1869. It was initially powered by a steam engine, then by oil, and now by electricity. The Corns family worked in the mill until World War I. Around 1900, the steam engine and the chimney stack were removed, but the builder's house still stands to this day. In 1912, a gas oil engine was installed, and in 1938, it was replaced with an electric motor. The mill was used until the 1950s and was left abandoned until 1991 when Ashford Borough Council purchased and restored it, opening it to the public.




















No comments:

Post a Comment

St Mary the Virgin Church, Nonington