August 31, 2026

Reculver Towers and Roman Fort - Hernbay

I have tried to visit here for a few years now, and each time I attempted to go, it was either too busy or I couldn't make it on the open day. So, when I saw that there was another open day, I got in the car and arrived in Hernaby by 10 AM for when it opened. I wanted to avoid the crowd and have a look inside.

Even though the inside was empty, it was nice to see what it was like, as I have always wondered what the tower looked like. There was also some information board, which was really interesting to read.

Back in 669 AD, it was a Saxon monastery before the towers and the medieval church were added in the 12th century. The site is managed by English Heritage, and the grounds are always open. The towers have open days, so it's worth checking their Facebook page or the English Heritage site to see when they are available




















No comments:

Post a Comment

Cutty Sark, - Greenwich

Cutty Sark  I have always wanted to visit this boat, but for some reason, I never got around to it. So, during our annual trip to London bef...