Hythe Sound Mirror
The Hythe Sound Mirror has been on my to-do list for over two years. I tried to visit it once before, but I couldn't figure out how to get to the mirrors. This time, I discovered a footpath leading right up to them. I'm not sure how I missed this before, but it doesn’t matter now.
Somehow, the weather was on our side, although it did become quite moody as we were heading back down. I really thought it was going to rain on us. On our way down, we encountered a group of locals walking up to the sound mirrors, so it seems to be a hangout spot for residents.
The sound mirror itself was much larger than I expected, I won’t lie. It’s a shame that it hasn’t been restored or that anyone seems interested in saving it, as it's slowly crumbling and becoming overgrown. However, it was a really cool experience to see this abandoned sound mirror.
The Hythe Sound Mirror is located on the roughs. In fact, there was a smaller 20-foot mirror built in 1923, alongside this larger 30-foot one, which was also constructed around the same time. These two mirrors were experimental ones, following trials conducted elsewhere in 1922. Unfortunately, the smaller 20-foot mirror collapsed, while the 30-foot one has survived but has since been fenced off due to its deterioration.














No comments:
Post a Comment