September 27, 2026

the six poor travellers house Rochester


I have wanted to revisit the Six Poor Travellers for years, as I visited it when I was a kid. Unfortunately, it closed to the public except for open days. So, when I saw that the Six Poor Travellers was open for Heritage Weekend, I made sure to be in Rochester on that day to explore it.

When we arrived in Rochester, the place was packed with people, making it feel like a can of sardines, but it was still wonderful to see this charming gem. Established by Richard Watts, it served as a free overnight shelter for six travelers until World War II. This building, which dates back to 1579, is also Grade I listed.
In 1615, it provided a home for up to 16 underprivileged local children to learn trades. It closed in 1940 during World War II.






















 


No comments:

Post a Comment

St John's Chatham

I have memories of visiting this church when I was little with my school. When I tried to go back and visit it, I found that it had been clo...