This was another place I had wanted to visit for years, but I could never figure out how to get there. I tried different ways to reach it, but I couldn't work out the footpath. While I was in St Albans for the day, I took another look at how to get to the old Gorhambury House. After checking the English Heritage site, I realized I needed to follow the footpath from the old Roman ruins.
I parked my car and walked to the entry point. I went through the gate and walked 2.2 miles up a slight hill. It was definitely worth it once I reached the top! While walking up, I passed several other people doing the same thing. Once we got to the top, we stopped to look around the old Tudor house and then sat on a bench to eat some lunch before making the 2.2-mile journey back down the hill (at least it was all downhill).
This little hidden gem was constructed between 1563 and 1568 by the Lord Keeper. The house showcases what a Tudor house with cutting-edge design would have looked like. This is just a small part of a massive estate; the remaining building has been left to crumble, offering a glimpse of what it might have looked in the heyday











No comments:
Post a Comment