September 29, 2026

Verulamium Museum - St Albans

I was told to check out a little Roman site in St. Albans, so while I was up there, I thought I would visit. We were really lucky on the day we went because it was Heritage Open Day, and the building was free to enter. Normally, it costs £10 for adults and £5 for children. 

Once inside, we looked around the site. I was surprised that it wasn’t very busy, considering free entry on Heritage Open Day. The site was nice to wander through, and it explained various aspects of Roman life, such as working from home, cooking, farming, and daily living. There were also a few mosaics to see. Overall, the site was really interesting to visit.

This little site was originally a center for the Catuvellauni tribe before the Romans arrived. Around 50 AD, it became a prominent Roman town. It is said that in the 1930s, there was a major excavation that uncovered Roman remains. The original site was built for £8,000 and opened in May 1939.



















No comments:

Post a Comment

Verulamium Museum - St Albans

I was told to check out a little Roman site in St. Albans, so while I was up there, I thought I would visit. We were really lucky on the day...