September 16, 2024

Dickens Swiss Chalet - Rochester ( Heritage open day 2024)



My daughter had a half day at school, so we decided to head to Rochester and check out the Dickens Chalet. Having lived in the Medway towns, I had always wondered what it was like inside. To be honest, I was a bit surprised by how empty it was, but at the same time, it was cool to step into a bit of history that is hardly ever open


The chalet is known for being the place where some of Dickens' best novels were written. Originally located on Gas Hill, it was later moved to Eastgate House in 1960. The chalet was used as a place to write and rehearse for his public appearances. Unfortunately, Dickens passed away in 1870. On the day of his death, he was working on "The Mystery of Edwin Drood.""












 

No comments:

Post a Comment

St Albans Cathedral - Hertfordshire.

  I stopped off at the St Albans Cathedral during my visit, and wow, it reminded me of something out of Harry Potter. The interior was stunn...