June 30, 2026

SSouth Foreland Lighthouse - Dover

South Foreland Lighthouse 



This was our last stop of the day while walking along the White Cliffs of Dover. When we arrived in Dover, we wanted to visit the lighthouse, so we parked in the White Cliffs car park and then walked the 2-3 miles along the cliffs to reach the lighthouse. Along the way, we stopped at the Langdon Battery and the Fan Bay Deep Shelter. We also encountered some cows that seemed quite tame, as they refused to move out of the way for anyone. The walk along the cliffs was lovely, and we were extremely lucky to have good weather on our side. The only downside was that the clocks on our phones kept changing because they kept syncing with French time, which made it a bit confusing as we always thought we were an hour ahead when we weren't!

When we arrived at the lighthouse, we showed them our National Trust pass and were placed on the next tour. We only had to wait around 15-20 minutes before the tour started. I have to say, the tour was quite interesting, and for someone who has visited Dover so many times, I can’t believe I had never been to the lighthouse before.
This lighthouse dates back to Victorian times and was built in 1843. It is said to be the first lighthouse to be built with electric light and also played a role in early radio transmissions.


















No comments:

Post a Comment

TYPE FW3-24 Pillbox - Wickhambreaux Kent

 Type FW3 - 24 pillbox  This pillbox wasn’t actually on my itinerary, but since I was in the area anyway, I decided to check it out while vi...